Former Minister of Water Resources, Sarah Ochekpe, has reportedly been sentenced alongside two others to 3 months imprisonment at a Federal High Court in Jos on Tuesday for N450 million fraud.
Raymond Dabo and Leo Jitung were also sentenced to three months imprisonment each by the Court.
According to reports, the defendants were said to have been charged in 2018 by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) with conspiracy and money laundering.
Justice Musa Kurna while delivering the verdict gave the convicts an option to pay a fine of N1 million each. The three defendants, Ms Ochekpe, Messrs Dabo and Jitung had entered a plea of no case submission.
The Judge during the sentencing held that the convicts did not withhold the money to themselves after they withdrew it from the bank but delivered it to a governorship candidate, as such were not guilty of retaining the sum for themselves.
However, the Justice said they were guilty of withdrawing the N450 million which according to him was above the threshold of an individual withdrawal.
He added that the offence according to Section 16(1) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act 2013 as amended carries a minimum of three years imprisonment or a N10 million fine.
Justice Kurna, however, sentenced them to three months imprisonment each or an option of N1 million naira in fine each.
- Soludo Lauds Tinubu for Giving South-East Juicy Portfolios
- Celebrating A Rare Gem, Adelani Sunday (Dr)
- Nollywood Actress Moyo Lawal Sex Tape Leaked | Watch
- Wike Writes EFCC & ICPC, Tells Them To Invite Former FCT Minister For Questioning Over Alleged Mismanagement of Govt Fund
- Judges, Politicians Are Escaping From Nigeria Ahead Of Judgement Day – Pat Utomi