The incident occurred along Maiduguri/Monguno highway on Saturday, January 28, in Guzamala LGA of Borno State.
ISWAP Distributes Old Naira Notes To Passengers On Borno Highway
Terrorists belonging to the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) have distributed huge amounts of old Naira notes to scores of commuters in the Lake Chad Basin ahead of the deadline of the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) for the Naira swap.
The incident according to Daily Trust, occurred along Maiduguri/Monguno highway on Saturday, January 28, in Guzamala LGA of Borno State.
Eyewitnesses told the publication that the ISWAP members were dressed in military camouflage and drove two gun trucks.
A resident, Bakura Ibrahim, said the insurgents positioned themselves under a tree and stood by the roadside with bags of old naira notes.
“We left Monguno at about 12 noon. As we approached Mairari, there were no existing checkpoints in the area; we were apprehensive.
“They stopped us and asked if we were going to Maiduguri, then they started giving each person 100,000 old naira notes, but we could not believe it. They gave each occupant of the Golf Volkswagen.”
Another source said;
“The group simply told us, “If you think you can go to their banks and change it to new naira, go and do so; may Allah make it beneficial to you.”
- Buhari’s Aide Under Fire For Advising FCT Minister Wike To Do Something To Some Dark Areas In Abuja
- Do You Wanna Watch Hannah Spoilt Y@nsh Video? Click Here
- CBN Disburses $61.64m To Foreign Airlines Through Various DMBs
- Federal Government Bans 18 Foreign Universities Operating In Nigeria, See Why
- Ban Sport Betting, Other Gambling Platforms Now, It Is Destroying Our Economy – Reno Omokri Urges Tinubu