At least nine people were killed on Monday after gunmen attacked Adu village in Kwal District of Bassa Local Government Area, Plateau State.
HotNewsInNaija gathered from Nuhu Bitrus, the spokesman for the Miango Youths Development Association who confirmed that the attack took place around 9 pm on Sunday.
According to Mr. Bitrus, the attack forced the community to cancel its activities earlier planned for the celebration of Nigeria’s 63rd anniversary and instead turn the event into a day of mourning and prayer for the safety of the people.
“We are not happy that we are today mourning the death of nine of our people in Adu village who were killed last night (Sunday) in an attack,” Mr. Bitrus said.
“It is unfortunate that while others are celebrating Nigeria’s 63rd independence, we are gathering in Kwal to bury our people. As a community, we had planned to celebrate Nigeria’s 63rd independence celebration today (Monday) with a lot of activities but we are not doing that anymore. We have turned the event into a prayer day for the safety of our communities.”
Mr. Bitrus called on the government to stop further attacks in Bassa communities.
The Plateau State Police Command has yet to react to the attack.
- JUST IN: TCN Shut Down National Grid Over NLC, TUC Strike
- INEC Declares Usman Ododo of the APC Winner of Kogi Governorship Election
- Controversy as Gov Adeleke Appointee Appoints 97 Persons as PA, Special Aides in Osun
- BREAKING: EFCC Secures Arrest Warrant for Alison-Madueke; Begins Extradition Proceedings
- Buhari Brought Nigeria’s Economy Out of Hardship Not Your Husband – Garba Shehu Counters Remi Tinubu