The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed optimism that it can produce the next Speaker of the House of Representatives.
The party’s National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, confirmed this on Wednesday after members-elect of opposition parties gathered to form an alliance, called the Greater Majority, to influence the election of the next leaders in the Green Chamber.
It is understood that the opposition members met to discuss strategies for using their numbers as bargaining power in negotiations with the speakership aspirants of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The meeting in Abuja had members-elect from various parties, including PDP, Labour Party, New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Social Democratic Party (SDP), African Democratic Congress (ADC), and the Young Progressives Party (YPP).
Ologunagba stated that the PDP could produce the next speaker if the ruling party fails to agree on a candidate.
He said, “The conversations are on, but we have to be patient with the process. It is true that if things go on as expected, the PDP can produce the speaker, but talks are still at a preliminary stage. We will cross the bridge when we get there.”
He however added that discussions are still in the preliminary stages to determine if the party will produce the next leader of the lower legislative chamber.
This newspaper reports that the 10th National Assembly is expected to be inaugurated in June.
- Emefiele: I’m Highly Disappointed You Appointed Shonubi As Acting CBN Governor – Adeyanju Attacks Tinubu
- Meet Folashodun Shonubi, the CBN’s New Acting Governor
- BREAKING: Emefiele Arrested By DSS For Questioning And Investigations After Suspension
- JUST IN: President Tinubu Suspends Emefiele, Directs Investigation Into Naira Redesign
- New Cats: B-Red Reveals How Burnaboy Chased After Davido’s Car In Port Harcourt
For More News, Kindly Join Our WhatsApp Group, Follow us on Instagram and Like our Facebook Page. You Can Also Follow Us On Twitter