The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on Thursday disclosed that its officials were attacked by gunmen in the Igboeze North Local Government Area of Enugu State.
According to a statement released by Festus Okoye, the INEC Chairman, Information, Voter Education Committee, one of the commission’s staff was injured and is currently hospitalised.
In the statement, Mr Okoye confirm that the officials were attacked while on the Continuous Voter Registration exercise at a Community Primary School Umuopu in Umuozzi Ward 19 in Enugu State.
The statement reads:
“The gunmen fired sporadically into the air to disperse registrants and registration officials. In the ensuing stampede, one of our staff sustained injuries and is receiving treatment in a hospital.”
He noted that nothing less than two properties of the electoral body and personal items of the staff were taken away.
“Two voter registration machines and personal items of the staff such as mobile phones were lost.”
“Consequently, Ward level registration of voters in Igboeze North is hereby suspended,” the statement reads further.
Okoye, however, said the Commission has reported the incident to police authorities in the state.
- Soludo Lauds Tinubu for Giving South-East Juicy Portfolios
- Celebrating A Rare Gem, Adelani Sunday (Dr)
- Nollywood Actress Moyo Lawal Sex Tape Leaked | Watch
- Wike Writes EFCC & ICPC, Tells Them To Invite Former FCT Minister For Questioning Over Alleged Mismanagement of Govt Fund
- Judges, Politicians Are Escaping From Nigeria Ahead Of Judgement Day – Pat Utomi