A source close to President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has revealed that the former Governor of Lagos State wants the next Senate President to come from the South-East region.
The source told Vanguard that the reason is because Tinubu believes that is the best thing to do at the moment, and that it is also for the sake of equity, fairness and justice.
According to Vanguard, the source said – “He has confided in us his commitment to support the emergence of a Senate President from the South-East for the sake of equity, fairness and justice, thus maintaining the balance of power and a sense of inclusion… Tinubu is fully committed to a Senate President of South-East extraction. I can confirm because he believes it is the right thing to do and the move will also calm frayed nerves in the South-East. He also wants to prevent unnecessary spending, bad blood lobbying which might culminate to hijacking of the National Assembly like it happened in 2015.”
Despite the massive Obidient movement which swept across the South-East during the election, the region still managed to produce six Senators-elect under the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, and some of them are notable lawmakers. So hopefully, the next Senate President may be picked from those six people.
On Monday, the leadership of the APC will be meeting with Tinubu, the Vice President-elect, Kashim Shettima, and the APC Senators-elect and members of the House of Representatives, and it is said that the issue of senate presidency is one of the issues that will be discussed in the meeting.
- JUST IN: TCN Shut Down National Grid Over NLC, TUC Strike
- INEC Declares Usman Ododo of the APC Winner of Kogi Governorship Election
- Controversy as Gov Adeleke Appointee Appoints 97 Persons as PA, Special Aides in Osun
- BREAKING: EFCC Secures Arrest Warrant for Alison-Madueke; Begins Extradition Proceedings
- Buhari Brought Nigeria’s Economy Out of Hardship Not Your Husband – Garba Shehu Counters Remi Tinubu