The Senate has reportedly passed the bill to grant full financial and administrative autonomy to Local Government.
The bills demand to amend the Constitution to provide a special account for local governments councils where all the allocations due to them, from both the federation account and state government, shall be received rather than operating state joint local government accounts.
As written in the bill, each local government council is required to create and maintain its own special account which would be called Local Government Allocation Account where all their allocations would be received.
It was also mandated by the legislation that each state must pay to local government councils such proportion of its internally generated revenue on such terms and in such manner as may be prescribed by the House of Assembly in its area of jurisdiction.
The bill also seeks to allow local governments to conduct their own elections for administrative autonomy.
The lawmakers also voted in favour of financial autonomy for State Houses of Assembly and judiciary.
For such bills to pass, voting is required and the lawmakers had to make use of the electronic voting method.
During the voting process, the Senate witnessed over 73 votes.
Voting on all 68 proposed amendments to the Constitution is underway.
This was also confirmed by the Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on new media, Bashir Ahmad who announced it via a post on his official Twitter handle.
See His Tweet Below:
- JUST IN: Electoral Act Amendment Bill Is Finally Signed Into Law By President Buhari
- 2023: Why We Shifted Presidential, National Assembly Elections – INEC
- Senate Votes Against Lauretta Onochie, Rejects Her As INEC Commissioner.
- 2023 General Election: INEC Announces Date For Elections
- VIDEO: Everything Keyamo Said When Asked If Tinubu Attended Primary And Secondary School
- See The Ridiculous Reason Kizz Daniel Refused To Perform At Tanzanian Concert, By Promoter
- Dino Melaye Bursted As The Possible Brain Behind Cultist Procession Against Bola Tinubu
- “Let The Poor Angry Bird Go Home And Rest” – Reactions After BBNaija’s Beauty Got Disqualified
- “I Dumped Burna Boy Because He Couldn’t Satisfy Me In Bed” – Stefflon Don