Argentina National team captain, Lionel Messi has reportedly been offered $1m (£828k) for the bisht that he wore whilst lifting the World Cup.
The Paris Saint Germain forward, during the World Cup celebrations, was dressed in a bisht, following La Albiceleste’s triumph over France, with a member of Oman’s parliament hoping to buy it off him
In a congratulatory statement released by Sultanate of Oman, the eye-watering amount was tabled by Ahmed Al Barwani, a lawyer and member of parliament in Oman, who is hoping to keep the garment in the Middle East.
The Emir of Qatar and FIFA president Gianni Infantino dressed the Argentina captain as he was awarded the World Cup.
It meant the iconic image of Messi, who scored twice in the final and claimed the Golden Ball, lifting the trophy for his country saw him dressed with a bisht over his Argentina shirt. Given the garment was worn by the player many regard as the greatest of all time, the Oman parliament member has launched an early bid to tempt it away from the 35-year-old.
- After Winning World Cup, Messi Tenders Strange Request To PSG
- Qatar 2022: Between Messi and Mbappe, Who Truly Deserves the MVP Award?
- Magical Messi Inspires Argentina To World Cup Final
He said on Twitter : “From the Sultanate of Oman I congratulate you for winning the World Cup Qatar 2022 … the Arabic bisht, a symbol of chivalry and wisdom. I’m offering you $1 million in return for that bisht.”
Messi has been assured that the garment, which is worn for celebrations, would not be used for the same purpose, but instead put on show. “It will be displayed to commemorate that moment of pride, and to help us relive it, and to also remind us that we can [do anything],” he claimed.
Al Barwani went on to tell Middle Eastern outlet The National : “I was at the stadium watching that moment live when the Emir of Qatar gave Messi the bisht. This moment told the world that were are here and this is our culture, please know it well. This tournament was a source of pride and has highlighted important facts about how we didn’t forget about Palestine and that Arabs are one and united.”
- Buhari’s Aide Under Fire For Advising FCT Minister Wike To Do Something To Some Dark Areas In Abuja
- Do You Wanna Watch Hannah Spoilt Y@nsh Video? Click Here
- CBN Disburses $61.64m To Foreign Airlines Through Various DMBs
- Federal Government Bans 18 Foreign Universities Operating In Nigeria, See Why
- Ban Sport Betting, Other Gambling Platforms Now, It Is Destroying Our Economy – Reno Omokri Urges Tinubu